96. The vegetables didn’t taste very good. They ______ too long.
A. had been cooked
B. were cooked
C. had cooked
97. — Remember the first time we met, Jim?
— Of course, I do. You _____ in the library.
A. were reading
B. had read
C. have read
98. I want to buy that kind of cloth because I _____ the cloth _____ well.
A. have told; washes
B. have been told; washes
C. was told; washed
D. have been told; is washed
99. — What were you up to when your parents came in?
— I _____ for a while and _____ some reading.
A. was playing; was going to do
B. played; did
C. had played; was going to do
D. had played; did
100. —Sorry, I forget to post the letter for you.
—Never mind, _____ it myself tonight.
A. I’m going to post
B. I’ve decided to post
C. I’ll post
D. I’d rather post